Heritage center to feature National Quilt Museum traveling exhibit | Arts & Culture
ALTENBURG, MO (KFVS) - The Lutheran Heritage Center in Altenburg will feature a traveling quilt exhibit from the National Quilt Museum from May to July 1.
The exhibit, "New Quilts from an Old Favorite: Orange Peel Block Pattern," will be free admission and open daily from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. It includes the 18 finalists and winning quilts of a challenge the Paducah museum gave to create original quilts based on the classic Orange Peel block pattern.
Quilters from 14 U.S. states and Canada modified the Orange Peel design in imaginative ways, giving a look at the skills, techniques and creativity of today's quiltmakers.
Quilts that placed include:
- 1st place - "Orange Blossom Special" by Robin Gausebeck
- 2nd place - "Sandia Sunset" by Sherri Bain Driver of Northglenn, Colo.
- 3rd place - "Tangerine Dream" by Karen Watts of Houston, Texas
- 4th place - "Oranges" by Nancy Eisenhauer of Belleville, Ill.
- 5th place - "Cosmic Plum" by Michael Michalski of Brooklyn N.Y.
Other featured quits include:
- "Stained Glass Appeal" by Mae Adkins of Casa Grande, Ariz.
- "Curve-A-Peel" by Elaine Braun of Paducah, Ky.
- "Hola Mola" by Diane Kay Evans of Forest Ranch, Calif.
- "Leaf Cycle" by Ann Feitelson and Ronna Erickson of Montague and Amherst, Md.
- "Oh, The Web We Weave" by Peggy Fetterhoff of The Woodlands, Texas
- "Full Circle" by Linda Forey of Montreal, QC, Canada
- "Ezekiel Saw the Wheel" by Julia Graber of Brooksville, Mass.
- "Under A Peel: Don't Judge a Quilt by its Cover" by Amy Krasnansky of Baltimore, Md.
- "Color Splash" by Ree Moffitt and Sheilah Crum of Palmer, Ark.
- "Juicy Fruit" by Claudia Clark Myers and Marilyn Badger of Duluth, Min. and St. George, Utah
- "Fleur de Lis" by Geri Parker and Kathy McNeil of Tulalip and Mt Vernon, Wash.
- "Shanghai Lights" by Deborah Spofford of Vancouver, Wash.
- "Star A-Peel" by Mary Sue Suit and Judy Woodworth of Sidney, Neb.
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Perry - Missouri County Stories
Upcoming Events near Perry - Missouri County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- State Treasurer Clint Zweifel returns unclaimed property, including to Southeast Mo.
- Old Town Cape announces 'Christmas Fun for Everyone' as 2013 Parade of Lights theme
- 1 dead after crash on LaSalle St. in Cape Girardeau
- Gov. Nixon proclaims May 18 National Kids to Parks Day
- Benefactors enhance décor at CJHS Tiger Fieldhouse