Lee Greenwood to perform at Valentines for Veterans concert | Community Spirit
POPLAR BLUFF, MO (KFVS) - The Valentines for Veterans concert will be Friday, Feb. 17 at 7 p.m.
The concert will be hosted by the John J. Pershing VAMC at the Black River Coliseum. They say the concert will feature country music artist Lee Greenwood.
The Department of Veterans Affairs’ Voluntary Service partners with Help Hospitalized Veterans and the community to host this unique event. They say the “Valentines for Veterans” concert goals are to:
- Show appreciation to all of America's Veterans
- Increase awareness in the community of the local (host) VA
- Encourage citizens to visit hospitalized Veterans and consider becoming a volunteer
- Educate the public on issues facing Veterans and their families
- Show respect and appreciation to America's Gold Star families (families that have lost service members as a result of combat)
- Promote volunteerism
In 2011, Help Hospitalized Veterans sponsored concerts at 17 different VA locations nationwide. Funding for the entertainers is made possible through the generosity of HHV and community donations. Costs associated with hosting the concert are covered through donations via Voluntary Services at the VA.
The VAMC says no admission will be charged to attend this concert for Veterans, their families and the public because “the price has already been paid” by the sacrifices of Veterans.
Tickets are required and will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis, beginning January 3, 2012 with priority recipients (in descending order) including Gold Star families, Veterans, families of Veterans, and the general public.
For information on volunteering or making a donation, please call the VA Voluntary Service office at 573-778-4151 extension 54275 or 1-888-557-8262 extension 54275 or 54276. If you are interested in information about tickets contact 573-778-4414.
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Perry - Missouri County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- State Treasurer Clint Zweifel returns unclaimed property, including to Southeast Mo.
- Old Town Cape announces 'Christmas Fun for Everyone' as 2013 Parade of Lights theme
- 1 dead after crash on LaSalle St. in Cape Girardeau
- Gov. Nixon proclaims May 18 National Kids to Parks Day
- Benefactors enhance décor at CJHS Tiger Fieldhouse