Perryville VFW hosts Patriotic Day | Community Spirit
PERRYVILLE, MO (KFVS) - Youngsters in Perryville Sunday got the chance to learn about patriotism.
The free event took place at the VFW in Perryville, Missouri.
Organizers say with what is going on in the world, it's important to teach kids about patriotism.
"Knowing in what we stand for," said Organizer Lisa Wood. "Knowing you are united. We stand for freedom. And what America has actually given to us so we can go back into the world and give back. So our children can grow up and give back what's been given to us."
Veterans taught children how to fold the flag and what it means to them.
"It makes people learn to be thankful for what they have," said Levi Lappe, a Boy Scout. "Because, some people are over there fighting wars, kids aren't seeing their parents every day.
The fire department and the D.A.R.E. car also stopped by to show their support for the event.
Organizers handed out fliers with facts about the American flag.
Copyright KFVS 2012. All rights reserved.
Top Perry - Missouri County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- State Treasurer Clint Zweifel returns unclaimed property, including to Southeast Mo.
- Old Town Cape announces 'Christmas Fun for Everyone' as 2013 Parade of Lights theme
- 1 dead after crash on LaSalle St. in Cape Girardeau
- Gov. Nixon proclaims May 18 National Kids to Parks Day
- Benefactors enhance décor at CJHS Tiger Fieldhouse